(Mercury Fillings): The Great Dangers
About Dental Amalgam (Mercury Fillings)
in brackets refer to references at the bottom of this article)
Amalgam contains about 50% Mercury.
has been scientifically demonstrated to be more toxic than Lead, Cadmium
or even Arsenic.
Mercury leaves dental amalgam continuously throughout the lifetime of the
Mercury vapour is the main way that mercury comes out of amalgam. (31)
Mercury vapour is absorbed at a rate of 80% through the lungs into the arterial
blood (31, 55)
Mercury kills cells.
There is NO harmless level of Mercury Vapour Exposure (63)
Mercury from mercury fillings binds to sulphydryl groups. These exist in
almost every enzymatic process in the body. Mercury from amalgam has the
potential to disturb all metabolic processes (25, 33, 60)
Mercury from amalgam is transported freely via the blood (19, 34, 35).
Mercury vapour is absorbed directly into the brain (34, 55a)
Mercury from amalgam will result in a slow build up of mercury in body tissues
(20, 26, 34)
Mercury crosses the blood brain barrier (34, 55a)
Mercury is implicated in Alzheimer's Disease (67, 68)
Mercury from amalgam is stored in the foetus and infant before the mother
(20, 61) (Could this be part of the reason for children getting cancer?).
Mercury from amalgam is stored in the breast milk and the foetus up to 8
times more than the mother's tissues (18, 19)
Mercury crosses the placenta (18, 31)
Mercury crosses into breast milk (18, 31, 61)
Mercury will severely reduce reproductive function (2, 3, 4, 20, 22, 24,
31, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 49)
Mercury rapidly depletes the immune system (27, 34, 35, 42, 43, 44, 45,
46, 47, 48, 60)
Mercury will induce a number of Auto Immune Diseases (27, 34, 35, 42,43,
Mercury will cause an increase in number and severity of all allergies (1,
Mercury from amalgam is stored principally in the kidneys, liver and brain
(1, 20, 31)
Mercury from amalgam causes kidney damage (shown in animal experiments)
Mercury from amalgam causes a 50% reduction in Kidney filtration, as shown
in a study of sheep after amalgam placement (59)
After chewing, Mercury vapour levels will remain raised for at least another
90 minutes (1, 15, 16, 18, 47)
Mercury from amalgam will migrate through the tooth (25, 27, 30)
This rate of migration is increased if a gold crown is placed over a tooth
filled with amalgam (27, 30)
Teeth are living tissues and are a part of our bodies.
Teeth have a massive communication via blood, lymph and nerves with the
rest of the body (34)
Mercury from amalgam is absorbed into the body at a rate of 3 to 17 mcg
/ day (WHO 1991 Criteria 118)
Mercury is transported along nerve fibres (33,34, 50)
Mercury binds to haemoglobin in the red blood cell thus reducing oxygen
carrying capacity (1, 16, 17, 21, 26,35)
Mercury damages blood vessels, thereby reducing blood supply to the tissues
Amalgam fillings produce electrical currents which are no doubt injurious
to health. These currents are measurable in Micro Amps. The Central Nervous
System and Brain operate in the range of Nano-Amps, which are 1,000 times
less than a Micro Amp (28)
Dissimilar metals in the mouth, such as gold and amalgam, produce higher
electrical currents (19, 30)
Brain levels of mercury are in a direct linear proportion to the number
of surfaces of amalgam fillings in the mouth (1,19, 25)
Mercury will cause single strand breaks in DNA (41,42)
Mercury levels in the blood can NOT be assessed by blood or urine levels
Dental personnel are severely affected by exposure to mercury (3,13, 49)
You're Not Fat -
Get the Book
are at the bottom of this article)
by the Australasian Society of Oral Medicine and Toxicology.
Phone 61-2-9867 1111
IS POISONOUS! MERCURY FILLINGS ARE POISONOUS!
is NO safe form of mercury in living tissue.
Mercury is one component of vaccinations.
Mercury from your body with Detoxamin: A new kind of Chelation
Please visit the home page for Latest News
Dental Board Backs Down
Opinion by "Consumer Advocate" Tim Bolen
January 19, 2002
I love it when a plan
The people of the State
of Florida, WERE in imminent danger,until yesterday, January 18, 2001. Not
from a terrorist attack,not from a hurricane, but from a source few would
suspect - their friendly, neighborhood dentist. And that dentist - held hostage
- was going to be forced to cooperate, in what some Health Freedom activists
characterize as "the forcing of a known deadly toxin into our bodies"
Everyone in the world
knows that MERCURY is a deadly poison, and wreaks havoc with the human body.
The problem is so well known in government circles that US Congresswoman Diane
Watson, on Monday November 5, 2001 introduced a bill OUTLAWING the use of
mercury fillings in the US over a five year period.
But, prior to yesterday,
it looked like the Florida Dental Board was taking it's orders from quackbuster"
kingpin, Bobbie Baratz, who recently replaced delicensed MD Stephen Barrett
quackpot throne. And that would have meant, simply, that Floridians would
be forced to accept mercury fillings HAMMERED into the mouths of their children,
and loved ones, whether they liked it or not. An apparently corrupt Dental
Association was trying to get the Florida Dental Board to pass rules making
it illegal to warn patients about the effects of the deadly poison (mercury)
that makes up 50% of every (so-called) "silver" dental filling.
They were also trying to pass regulations that would
allow seizure of licenses of practicing dentists who remove mercury fillings,
or advertise to do so. Three new regulations, sponsored by the Florida Dental
Association, were on the table in
front of the Dental board for discussion. They were introduced last September.
The largest manufacturer
of mercury amalgams, I'm told, manufactures in Florida. There has been no
investigation, as yet, into whether State appointed Dental Board members,
or Dental Association members have any financial, or business relationships
with amalgam manufacturers. Maybe it's time to look...
AND THEN CAME YESTERDAY...
In a two hour meeting
before that Dental board health freedom activists from all over North America
gathered. They were there to counter the LUDICROUS presentation, asking for
the three new
regulations, made to the Florida Dental Board, last September, on behalf of
the Florida Dental Association, by the buffoon-in-chief himself, National
Council Against Health Fraud (NCAHF) President Bobbie Baratz.
There was standing room
World renowned experts
testified about the dangers of mercury, and the responsibility the Dental
Board has to protect the public. For almost two hours, "real experts"
countered the DRIVEL
previously delivered, in September, to the Florida Board by quackpot Baratz.
Baratz, who was there,
was apparently so intimidated he couldn't speak when it was his turn, at the
end of the meeting. The Dental Association representative declined to have
at this meeting. They had flown Baratz, who claims he gets $350 per hour as
an "expert," all the way down from Massachusetts. Not to speak?
Maybe the message that
the people of California delivered to their own Dental Board, this last year,
sank in, in Florida. Californians DUMPED their own board, forcing the formation
of a new board, with all new members, after January 1, 2002, because the board
acted arrogantly over ONE issue, the posting of mercury amalgam warnings in
dental offices. The disbanded board kept insisting that "there is no
evidence that mercury amalgams pose a problem." Californians know better.
Or, maybe it was the fact
that the Health Freedom people in Florida, brought their own court reporter,
and their own video team, to record the proceedings. But, whatever...
The Florida Dental Board
THE FLORIDA STRATEGY...
The Florida campaign was
WELL designed. It was choreographed from start to finish - and it's not finished
yet. The broad-issue health freedom people jumped in and made an alliance
with the dental issue people - an alliance made in heaven. New friends were
The goals, and objectives,
were well thought out. And, an action plan was initiated and carried through
to this point - and it's not over.
Four major things were
(1) Information on the
dangers of mercury amalgam were put into the public record - so that it
cannot be denied,
(2) information on laws
governing what the public needs to be warned about was put into the public
record - so that it cannot be denied,
(3) information on the
"Florida Health Freedom Bill" and it's INTENT was formally entered
into the public record by the Senate and House sponsors of that legislation
- so that it cannot be denied,
(4) information was
entered into the public record about the LACK OF CREDIBILITY of Robert S.
Baratz MD, DDS, PhD (Bobbie Baratz) President of the NCAHF - so that it
cannot be denied.
Of course, the reason
they did these things was calculated. Should the Florida Dental Board have
continued on their original course, with the information they now had in front
of them, they too, like in California, would have been history. That was,
and is, the next step, if necessary.
It isn't necessary - yet.
You don't mess with the
Health Freedom Movement...
You're Not Fat -
Get the Book
FDA "Backs Down" over Deadly Mercury Amalgam
Huggins, DDS, MS www.hugnet.com
to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society
by a former MS sufferer
Denton MD: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Biocompatibilty
- EPA Mercury Health Effects Update Health Issue Assessment. Final report
1984 EOA-600/8-84f. USEPA, Office of Health and Environmental Assessment
Washington DC 20460
- Gordon - Pregnancy in Female Dentists - a Mercury hazard. Proceedings of
Intl conference on Mercury Hazards in Dental Practice Sept. 2-4 Glasgow
- Lee L.P. and Dixon Effects of Mercury on spermatogenisis J. Pharmacol
Exp Thera 1975: 194(1); 171-181
- Anonymous - Mercury in Fish - Bull WHO 64(5) : 634 1986
- Schulein T.M.; Reinhardt J.W. and Chan K.C. Survey of Des Moines area dental
offices for Mercury vapour. Iowa Dent. J. 70(1):35-36 1984
- Jones DW, Sutton EJ and Milner EL Survey of Mercury Vapour in dental offices
in Atlantic Canada. . Can. Dent. Assoc. J. 4906:378-395 1983
- Ochoa R. and Miller RW. Report on independent survey taken of Austin dental
offices for Mercury contamination. Texas Dent. J. 100 (1): 6-9, 1983
- Kantor L. and Woodcock C., Mercury vapour in the dental office - does carpeting
make a difference? JADA 103(9):402-407, 1981
- Skuba A. Survey of Mercury vapour in Manitoba dental offices J. Can. Dent.
Assoc. 50(7):517-522, 1984
- Chop GF and Kaufman EG. Mercury vapour related to manipulation of amalgam
and to floor surfaces. Oper. Dent. 8(1): 23-27, 1983
- Roydhouse RH, Ferg MR and Knox RP. Mercury in dental offices J. Can Dent
Assoc 51(2): 156-158, 1985
- Butler J. Proceedings from the First International Conference of Biocompatibilty.
- Magnus Nylander, Mercury concentrations in the human brain and kidneys in
relation to exposure form dental amalgam fillings, ICBM 1988
- Svare CW et. al. The effects of dental amalgam on Mercury levels in expired
air. J.Dent.Res. 60(9): 1668-1671, 1981
- Ott K. et. al. Mercury burden due to amalgam fillings, Dtsch. Zahnarzti
Z. 39(): 199-205, 1984
- Abraham J., Svare C., Frank C. The effects of dental amalgam restorations
on Blood Mercury levels. J. Dent. Res. 63(1): 71-73, 1984
- Vimy MJ, Lorscheider FL. Intra oral Mercury released from dental amalgams.
J. Dent Res. 64(8): 1069-1071, 1985
- Matts Hanson. Amalgam hazards in your teeth, Dept of Zoophysiology, University
of Lund, Sweden J. Orthomolecular Psychiatry Vol2 No3, Sept 1983
- Vimy MJ, Takahashi Y., Lorscheider FL. Maternal-Fetal Distribution of Mercury
Released from Dental Amalgam Fillings. Dept of Medicine and Medical Physiology,
faculty of Medicine and Medical Physiology, faculty of Medicine, Univ of
Calgary, Calgary Alberta Canada 1990 published in FASEB
- Goyer RA. Toxic effects of metals. Cassarett and Doull's toxicology - The
basic science of poisons, ed3, New York, macMillan Publ. Co. 1986, pp 582-609
- Kuhnert P, Kunhert BRR and Erkard P. Comparison of Mercury levels in maternal
blood fetal chord blood and placental tissue. Am. J. Obstet and Gynecol.,
- Kuntz WD. Maternal and chord blood mercury background levels; Longitudinal
surveillance. Am J. Obstet and Gynecol. 143:440-443, 1982
- Brodsky JB. Occupational exposure to Mercury in dentistry and pregnancy
outcome. JADA111(11): 779-780, 1985
- Malmstrom C, Hansson M, Nylander M. Conference on Trace Elements in Health
and Disease. Stockholm. May 25 1992
- Lorscheider & Vimy. The Lancet Vol 337, May 4 1991
- Matts Hanson. Why is Mercury toxic? Basic chemical and biochemical properties
of Mercury / amalgam in relation to biological effects. ICBM conference
- Sheppard AR and Eisenbud M., Biological effects of electric and magnetic
fields of extremely low frequency. New York university press. 1977
- Mareck and Hockman. Simulated crevice corrosion experiment for ph and solution
chemistry determinations. CORROSION 1974:23, 1000-1006
- Till et al. Zahnarztl. Welt / reform 1978:87; 1130-1134
- Langan, Fan, Hoos. The use of Mercury in dentistry: a critical review of
the literature. JADA Vol. 115. December 1987, 867 Donated by The ADA
- Jonnes, Suttow and Milner. Survey of Mercury vapour in dental offices in
Atlantic Canada, Canadian Dental Association Journal, 49(6): 378-395, 1983
- Goyer Toxic effects of metals. Casaret and Doull's toxicology - the basic
science of poisons. Ed3 New York. Macmillan Publishing. 1986 pp 582-609
- Patrick Stortebecker Formerly Associate Professor of Neurology, Karolinska
Instititute, Stockholm. Mercury Poisoning from Dental Amalgam - a hazard
to the human brain.
- Hal Huggins. Observations from The Metabolic Fringe. ICBM conf. Collarado
- Sam Queen; Chronic Mercury Toxicity; New Hope Against an Endemic Disease.
- Mohamed et al. Lazer Light Scatering Study of the Toxic Effects of Methyl
Mercury on sperm motility. J. Androl., 7(1): 11-15, 1986
- Ziff S. and Ziff M. Infertility and birth defects. 1987
- Inouye M., Murao K, Kajiwara Y, Behavioural and neuropathological effects
of prenatal methyl Mercury exposure in mice. Neurobeahv. Toxicol Teratol ., 1985: 7: 227-232
- Koos et el., Mercury toxicity in pregnant women, fetus and newborn infant.
Am J. Obstet and Gynecol., 1976: 126: 390-409
- Khera et al., Teratogenic and genetic effects of Mercury toxicity . The
biochemisty of Mercury in the environment. Nriagu., J.O. Ed Amsterdam
Elserier, 503-18, 1979
- Babich et al., The mediation of mutagenicity and clastogenicity of heavy
metals by physiochemical factors. Environ Res., 1985: 157: 221-226
- Pelletier L et al., In vivo self reactivity of mononuclear cells to T cells
and macrophages exposed to Hg Cl 2 Eur. J. Immun., 1985: 460-465
- Verchaeve L. et al., Comparative in vitro cytogenetic studies in Mercury
exposed human lymphocytes. Mutation Res., 1985: 157; 221-226
- Pelletier L et al., In vivo self reactivity of mononuclear cells to T cells
and macrophages exposed to Hg Cl2. Eur. J. Immun., 1985: 460-465
- Veron et al. Amalgam Dentaires et allergies J. Biol. Buccale., 1986: 14:
- Huggins H., Its All In Your Head 1990
- Stortebecker P. Mercury Poisoning from Dental Amalgam (Bioprob pub. 1985)
- Amalgam Hazards - an assessment of research. By Irwin Mandel DDS Assoc.
Dean for Research School of dental and Oral Surgery Columbia
- Nylander et al. Fourth international symposium Epidemiology in Occupational
Health. Como Italy Sept 1985
- Methyalation of Mercury from dental amalgam and mercuric chloride by oral
Streptococci. Heintz, Edwardson, Derand, Birkhed. Scan. J. Dent. Res. 1983,
- Bacterial Growth on Dental Restorative Materials in Mucosal Contact. Orstavic,
Arneberg, Valderhaug, Acta Odontol. Scand. 1981, 39: 267-274
- The Methylation of Mercuric Chloride by Human Intestinal Bacteria. Rowland,
Grasso, Davies, Experientia. Basel 1975, 31: 1064-1065
- Formation of methyl Mercury Compounds from inorganic Mercury by Chlostridium
cochlearium. Yamada, Tonomura J, Ferment, Technol 1972 50: 159-166
- Hanson J, Orthomolecular Psychiatry 1983, 12: 194-201
Amalgam Restorations and Mercury Toxicity. Dr P Sheridan, Masters Thesis,
University of Sydney 1991
56. Marxkors R: Korrisionserscheinungen an Amalgamf Ilungen and
Deren Auswirkungen auf den Menschlichen Organisums. Das Deutsche Zahn rztebl.
24, 53, 117 and 170, 1970
57. Campbel & M. Godfrey Research
into provocation testing of DMPS - urine samples of Mercury
58. Summers AO, Wireman J, Vimy MJ, Iorscheider Fly, Marshal B,
Levy SB, Bennet S, Billard L J. of Anti-microbial Agents and Chemotherapy
37(4): 825-34 April 1993
Boyd ND, Benediktsson MJ, Vimy DE, Hooper and Lorscheider FL. Mercury from
dental "silver" tooth fillings impairs sheep kidney function. Am.
J. Physiol. 261 (Regulatory Integrative Comp. Physiol. 30): R1010-R1014, 1991
Vera Stejskal, Sweden "Memory lymphocyte immuno-stimulation assay - MLISA"
Dr Gustav Drasch, Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Munich. Public
announcement 25 January 1994 Bio Probe March 1994
Dr W. Kostler, President of the Austrian Oncology Society. Paper presented
at the World Congress on Cancer. April 1994, Sydney Australia
World Health Organisation Criteria 118 1991 Geneva Switzerland
Health damage due to exposure to mercury vapour (Mercury) Szkody zdrowotne
wywolane narazeniem na pary rteci (Mercury), Moszczynski - P Jr, Moszcynski
P, Czas Stomatol, 1989 Apr, 42(4), 233081989 Polish: Poland
In vivo mercury and methyl mercury levels in patients at different intervals
after amalgam restorations. Fung YK, Molvar MO, Strom A, Schneider NR, Carlson
MP. College of Dentistry, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Lincoln.
Northwests-Dent. 1991 May-Jun: 70(3): 23-6
Regional brain trace-element studies in Alzheimer's disease. Thompson CM,
MaRkesbery WR, Ehmann WD, Mao YX, Vance. In: Neurotoxicology (1988 Spring)
A search for longitudinal variations in trace element levels in nails of Alzheimer's
disease patients. Vance DE, Ehmann WD, Markesbery WR. In: Biol Trace Elem
Res (1990 Jul-Dec) 26-27: 461-70